Click here to go back.
Foundations in Evangelism: 8/21/10
Men’s Bible Fellowship,
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church,
(Bottom of Lako St., 6 PM, shared supper)
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. 2 Thess. 2:14‑16
Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. Mark 7:8-9
Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. Matthew 15:1‑7
For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands? Mark 7:2‑6
And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. Gal.1:13‑15
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Col. 2:7‑9
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 2 Thess.3:5‑7
Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1 Peter 1:17‑19
Our Lord Jesus Christ was murdered through the traditions of the most religious men ever to gather on planet earth. Their Traditions blinded them in every facet of spiritual life. It is noted that they could not even keep the Sabbath Rest due to their vain traditions, Heb.5:6.
Could it be possible that we also have some Sacred Cows that need to be slaughtered?
As we explore this very sensitive subject we must keep some Bible Guide Lines in place.
1. Our Lord reminded us that they that gather with us are not against us. That love must be the matrix in which we sort out the Baby from the Bath Water. That the wheat and the weeds grow together so to be very careful to rightly divide the Word of God in this quest for truth.
2. That we dig our own well we don’t try to steal some one else’s well and try to make it our own. That The Holy Spirit is well able to provide a new wine skin for new wine. That they who are looking for the light will come to the light when they truly see that it is the light.
3. That the Holy Spirit is never late or early. We are exactly where God knew we would be and doing what we are doing before even our world was created. So nothing needs to be done out of fear or pride. We are told to be anxious in nothing but to in every thing give thanks. That the wisdom from above is pure, peaceful, gentle, open faced, merciful, fruitful and not self centered or hypocritical.
1. The Kingdom of God is not Organizational it is organic. Hebrews 8:10 teaches that the Lord wants to put His Laws in every mind and heart so that all relate directly to Him. An organization is safe, but the Holy Spirit is unpredictable and He does not seem to be much concerned about our comfort zone or how things “look.”. He is more interested in making us like our Lord Jesus.
2. The Early Church met in homes on Saturday nights. Used what was available.
3. The Early Church was a forum and not a theater.
4. The Early Church gave, they did not tithe. (God wants 100%, not just 10.)
5. The Early Church recognized the five ministries of Eph.4:11 (1-16) and not just Pastors.
6. The Early Church never voted, it moved through the consensus of elders with a presiding elder.
7. The Early Church recognized all of the fruit, gifts and ministries of the Holy Spirit.
8. The Early Church honored both private and community ownership.
9. The Early Church was more concerned about unity than action.
I personally believe that the "seeds" for the building of the Bride are buried in the N.T.. And if we are "willing" to do our homework and return to the faith that was "once delivered" then it will take our souls through the much needed transitions into His eternity. God's Truth in Love brings His Church into Unity, Holiness and Accountability which allows the Holy Spirit to confirm with authority and power. This is basic Biblical Evangelism and Discipleship mentoring. If we followed our Lord's example of exponential evangelism we could fill the world with Disciples in less than 34 years with each disciple training only 1 disciple per year..
It is what it is. It is clear what our Lord Jesus meant in what He said. And it was confirmed by the N.T. Early Church in Holy Scripture. But it takes going through John 12:24‑25 and John 17 to find His Truth in love that will set us free. We are still trying to figure out how to take our "special" baggage into the Kingdom of God and the sand in the clay still waits to be removed. To agree to not disagree does not cut it. It is a matter of true relationship with Him, not organization. Biblical Christianity is not bankrupt but is simply being ignored by the so called traditional, institutional, self serving, kingdom building, Hollywood theater that we have come to validate as our Lord's Church. We have covered the land with these little white ivory kingdoms who truly believe that each of them are the "CHURCH." It is time to take another look at our New Testament and return to the true "Essentials" of His Church which looks like Him. We have been building religious organizations that look like us. We have become God's chosen frozen dedicated to the preservation of the stuff.. It is time to be about the building the Bride of Christ for His Return.
Ken Smith 8/16/10, Cell: 896-8937, e-mail: ken@Trinity-Aloha.org
Click here to go back.